Sunday, January 25, 2009

Do you ever feel called?

So I was driving in my car listening to a song on the radio.  It's "Here I AM" by "Downhere."  Part of the chorus goes:
"Here I am, LORD send me.  I want to live my life as an offering."

As I was singing that it clicked with me about when I was a little girl and we used to sing an old hymn at church.  It was called "Here I Am LORD" and the chorus goes:
"Here I am LORD, is it I LORD? I have heard you calling in the night.  I will go LORD.  If you lead me.  I will hold your people in my heart."

I remember singing that song one Sunday when I was in 4th grade.  I had enjoyed that song for many years, but on that day for some reason I began to think about the lyrics.  I thought to myself: What does that mean?  Here I Am?  Where would God send me?  Would I go?
I think I was afraid, but I also think I said, "yes."  I will do that.

I wasn't yet a Christian but I know God was calling me long ago.  It reminds me of Samuel or David who God called when they were children but who didn't fully develop into it until later.  I think I'm in process too and I think God has called me to HIS work.  I just don't fully know what yet.  I think that's okay.  God is prepared to work with me still.  It is exciting to see that HE has been calling me for that long.  It seems long to me now.  It is probably so short to HIM, but thinking about God living outside of time is a whole different issue to ponder for another day :-)

No comments: