Sunday, December 21, 2008

The TV World

So I was thinking today as I was watching the second season of "Friends" about the TV world.  So I remember watching "Friends" when it was on TV and although I found it funny did not connect with it at all because they were 30 and I was 18.  However, now being in a sort of "beginning" stage of my life I connect more with the first few seasons where they are starting out and worrying about money and finding jobs and starting to make it.  I'm starting to see why it became such a popular TV show.

However, although they are "dealing" with the same stuff, they still can manage to live in a large New York City apartment.  Rent? Food? Those do not seem to be issues on this show!  In the latest episode I watched Monica said she had $127 left in her bank account but then that night they threw a huge party for Rachel's birthday with lots of alcohol and food.  Those things are not free...

My friends tell me, its just a TV show!  Something I also tell them when I'm watching Grey's Anatomy and my friends who understand medical things comment about the bad techniques.  I know nothing of the techniques so want them to hush so I can find out who slept with who...

So what I've decided about the TV world is that to make a hit show, we - The American Public, want the characters to talk about real issues that we have to face without ever having to deal with consequences.  We deal with relationship issues but usually would see consequences if one of us were to sleep with 4 or 5 different people in one season.  We deal with money but might actually have to get a smaller apartment and live off Mac N Cheese.  We want to believe they have the same issues as we do, but we don't really want to see the real effects of those issues.  It makes our lives a little happier for awhile.

That's the TV World!

No comments: