Sunday, June 27, 2010

THIS year

Around 4:30 this afternoon I was laying on some concrete stairs in front of Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska. Anyone from Nebraska or a stone's throw knows that the University of Nebraska's campus is somewhat of hallowed ground. As an alumna (though not native to the state) of the "U," I knew the significance of the place I laid. I could feel the heat from the concrete radiating through my clothes onto my back despite the shade cast by the massive building.

I was waiting. While I did so I closed my eyes and listened. Off in the distance I heard the rumble of construction from a new university project off toward my left and the interstate's hum behind my right ear. I heard a car drive up and
opened an eye to see if anyone was coming my way (I of course planned, then, to sit up since laying on the steps like that was a bit weird in the presence of anyone else). The car just stopped though and the front passenger window rolled down. A picture was snapped and the car drove away. It was the ending of a summer camp the university hosted and stragglers from the day's new student enrollment also were about. So plenty of Football fans were milling about.

Alone again, I closed my eyes and could hear the rustling of the trees and the hot breeze on my face. In the current temp it was more like the fan from a hair dryer than the cooling breeze I was hoping for. Nevertheless, when I felt the wind on my face I thought, as sounds of nature always make me, of my creator and paused for a moment to pray to the God who made all that was. I thought of how, though the University was legendary for the football i
t proclaimed, my God was legendary in my life and in the lives of people far outside the Cornhusker state. As I smiled at my ability to communicate with Him, another car drove up.

I recognized this car's blue exterior and knew my friends had arrived. Sam, my roommate from college, and her husband, Greg, had just picked up their new puppy in Kansas and had stopped to share on their way back to Omaha. I was delighted to meet, Gracie. Greg had Gracie in his hands and brought the baby pug over to me. I held her and petted her as we walked around the university a little bit and that dog had never had it so good.


After all too brief a visit, my friends left with their new puppy and I returned to my apartment. As I drove I thought of how much we had changed in the years Sam and I had known each other. It was our freshmen year at the University that we first met, the same major, the same dorm floor, and many of the same classes. Along with a few other close friends we navigated the waters of higher education together and walked alongside one another through our post college adventures. The current economic climate, of course, has made the transition a little harder than usual, but we are still standing on both feet. Yet this year, the year I turn 25, I'm certain will be the best year of my life. I'm not a millionaire or totally stable, but I'm independent and confident in myself. I have a boyfriend I love and who loves me and I know more about myself than I ever have before. Most importantly, for the first time I feel grounded in my relationship with God and I am completely happy. Economic hardship, loss, and pain will come but I know I can withstand them all. This will be the best year of my life.

No comments: