Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas

Today I went out to do my Christmas shopping.  This year especially I was trying to not spend so much on gifts and in my own stress I began to wonder why Christmas no longer feels the way it did when I was a kid.  I remember staying awake trying to hear Santa (sometimes believing I really did), the joy of presents, and the wonder and excitement of the birth of Jesus.  It isn't as exciting now.  Yet I came to realize that if we truly believe that Christmas is about a humble beginning and the great thanksgiving for that gift God had given all mankind, than it is something I can relate to.  I am at a place of beginnings of sort in my life and I have much to be thankful for.  Most especially my loving friends and family and the great gift that God has given to me.  That is what Christmas should have been about for me all along.

Isaiah 9:2, 6
"The People walking in darkness have seen a great light
On those living in the land of the shadow of death
A light has dawned...
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, 
And the government will be on his shoulders
He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

No comments: